In its first two years of operation, MBCOI has focused much time and energy building strong foundations with academic institutions, industry, and entrepreneurs regionally, nationally, and internationally. As a direct result, MBCOI has secured exclusive partnerships to provide access to several unique platforms and is focusing on these opportunities to drive revenue.
- Aquaculture: A catalyst for biotechnology development that is of strategic importance to MBCOI and NC by offering long term potential for substantial economic growth in NC.
- Genomics: Genomic Signatures and Motif Fingerprinting (GF), the most sensitive and fastest genomic bioinformatics system in the world.
- Imaging: Marine Magnetic Resonance Facility (MMRF), a unique analytical capability which combines magnetic resonance imaging with magnetic resonance spectroscopy to characterize anatomy and biochemical changes for longitudinal studies of living organisms.
- Literature Informatics: E-Lit Libraries, the creation of comprehensive databases of chemistries and biologies for accelerating R&D and high-value intellectual property (IP).
- Technology Translation: MBCOI leverages its network to combine resources (people and technologies) from multiple institutions (public and private) to advance translation into products and services.